Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Good Albums of 2008

Seeing as how this is a music blog and that the year is coming to an end, I felt that it might be appropriate to make a best of 2008 list of some sort. Since I don’t listen to that much new music, this is by no means a comprehensive list but just some things I liked from this year. I was going to upload some songs for you to listen to from these artists, but I ran into some difficulty, so hopefully this'll suffice. In no particular order:

Son Lux - At War with Walls and Mazes

I was blown away when I first heard this album. I love his mixture of electronic and acoustic sounds and his simple, emotional, at times chant-like lyrics. His weak voice might put off some, but I like it.  

"Break"

Frightened Rabbit – The Midnight Organ Fight

I only recently heard of this band from Scotland, and their album was one I found myself definitely wanting to listen to several times. I like the raw sound of lead singer/guitarist Scott Hutchinson’s voice--and lyrics to match!

"Heads Roll Off"


Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago

Justin Vernon apparently stayed in his father’s cabin in the woods by himself one winter in Wisconsin to write and record this album—the name Bon Iver comes from the French for “Good Winter.” This is some nice, unique folk music. His doubled high falsetto is surprisingly pleasant to listen to.

"Lump Sum"


She & Him – Volume One

Actress Zooey Deschanel teamed up with singer/songwriter M Ward to produce this album of her songs and a few covers. It has a vintage pop/country sound to it, and it’s pretty good!

"Why Do You Let Me Stay Here"


Rachel Yamagata – Elephants… Teeth Sinking Into Heart

As I said in my previous post, I’m mostly a fan of the first part of this double album.  

Anathallo – Canopy Glow

I actually haven’t gotten a copy of this full album yet, but what I have heard is fantastic. I love their odd time signatures and eclectic instrumentation.  

"Bells"


Ra Ra Riot – The Rhumb Line

This is a pretty good indie/pop/punk album. It reminds me at times of a modern version of The Clash or The Police with some strings added.  Maybe a little bit of Cursive as well?  Whatever it is, it's cool.

"Ghost Under Rocks"


I’m not usually a big fan of country/bluegrass music, but Charlie Haden is a renowned jazz bassist and his offspring are indie musicians. This album also has all kinds of guest artists like Elvis Costello, Pat Metheny, Jack Black, and Vince Gill.

"Spiritual"


I saw this band on Conan for the first time this year (below), and while I thought their performance was gimmicky (the toy piano), they’re pretty darn good. I like the folky songs and arrangements of guitars, synths, bells, harmonica , horns, percussion, and whatever else.  

"As Tall As Cliffs"


Los Campesinos - Hold On Now, Youngster
See the post below.

... What'd you guys like this year?


1 comment:

Kate said...

i've only heard of two of these artists. good thing i have your blog, matt.